What is the Parthenon and why is it important?The Parthenon was the center of religious life in the powerful Greek City-State of Athens, the head of the Delian League . Built in the 5 century B.C., it was a symbol of the power, wealth and elevated culture of Athens. It was the largest and most lavish temple the Greek mainland had ever seen.
Why was the Parthenon destroyed?
What are five facts about the Parthenon?
- It’s dedicated to a Greek goddess.
- It’s not the first temple on this space.
- For a time, it was used as a mosque.
- Some of its greatest treasures are located in London.
- Its name has an interesting origin.
- It’s not actually a temple.
- It was originally quite colorful.